[RULE] Ubuntu Mini-RAM HOWTO

Paul Nijjar pnijjar at utm.utoronto.ca
Fri Dec 17 23:18:45 EET 2004

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Jason Bechtel wrote:

> This is exactly what we need!  I am working with a community technology
> center (CTC) in Toledo, Ohio (USA, not Spain).  We are using LTSP on
> Ubuntu.  We want to create something that will work for most CTCs,
> though.  That means catering to low-end systems while supplying high-end
> modern software.  Ubuntu meets our needs currently, but I just talked
> them into helping RULE to develop a custom installer for Ubuntu (or
> regular Debian).  Now it looks like it's closer than I thought...

	What is this installer going to be based on? If it is the new
debian-installer (d-i) then the bottleneck will be RAM. If I remember
correctly the minimum requirements for d-i are currently 32MB of RAM.

	Our WCLP installer is based on FAI, which (in theory) can install
any machine that can boot into Linux. The realistic minimum here is 16MB.
I would be happy to help you customize our installer to your needs as
well.

> I think we could really create our own custom CTC-targeted RULE-ified
> distro! What I'd really like is a custom installer that would set up one
> of two profiles:
>
> 1)  RULE-ified LTSP server
> 2)  RULE-ified standalone workstation
	Have you looked at Skolelinux? Their project sounds very similar
to yours. Their installer (also based on debian-installer) has the
capability to set up LTSP servers and workstations. The standalone
configuration takes 3GB of hard drive space, but that could be trimmed
down by modifying the installer.

	There is also the FreeGeek people in Portland, who have ties to
the "Debian-NP" custom distribution.

	Both of these are based on Debian, not Ubuntu per se. But if you
are looking for something to build on then you (we?) could join forces
with them.

- Paul

Rule-list at rule-project.org