[RULE] Bare-bones Server HOWTO Update

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Tue Jan 4 23:02:18 EET 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 12:32 -0600, James Miller wrote:
> I always admire attempts to whittle down Linux to make it more useful on
> older hardware, along with the skills of those who can do it. But what use
> is a machine with only a little more than 10MB of free disk space going to
> be?

This whole effort is really just a starting point. For example, there
are quite a few things which I have chosen not to delete because they
are part of what I see as the basic core Fedora package which you could
then delete to make space for other stuff.

A good example: you could delete perl, which is needed for a couple of
SELinux things, if you were willing to live without SELinux (and I know
some people are). Right there you're going to recover 40MB. As another
example, you could start with that basic install and then simply
wipe /usr/share/doc to recover 25MB. But these are all decisions which I
would rather the *user* make, so I prepare a starting point.

You could also accept a slight slowdown and simply leave a swap of 32MB.
Lots of ways to get 50MB or so of useful space left over within a 500MB
disk after tweaking the base install for your purposes.

However, there *are* a few cases where a machine with 10-20MB free on
disk can be useful. A box which is a simple router/gateway/firewall for
a small office or home network can provide DNS/DHCP/firewall services
with only about 2-3MB more than the base install.

Hopefully that clears up the intent a little.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>

Rule-list at rule-project.org