[RULE] fonts

Richard Kweskin rkwesk at hellug.gr
Mon Jan 3 11:00:17 EET 2005

Hello All

It is over two years ago that Vadim Plessky wrote on our list:

> On the other side, startup time depends on many factors, and one of those is
> ... number of fonts installed.
> Yes, really:   check how many fonts do you have installed.
> For typical Linux install (like Mandrake 8.2) with WinFonts installed (from
> Win98/2000), you will get around 1000 (scalable) fonts.
> I found that every 300 fonts (in typical KDE install) delay startup time of
> Konqueror (and of any other KDE applications) by 1 sec.!
> So, reducing number of installed fonts from 1000 to, say, 100 you reduce
> startup time by about 3 sec.!

Briefly, I assume that it is still true that the fewer fonts installed the faster the setup will run (and of course disk space is increased.) I have little knowledge of what would constitute a bare bones set of fonts for different scenarios: no gui, gui but only Sylpheed and Dillo, gui with Abiword, etc.

Richard

Rule-list at rule-project.org