[RULE] Ubuntu Mini-RAM HOWTO

Jason Bechtel bechtel at freeshell.org
Thu Jan 6 23:12:48 EET 2005

On Friday, Dec 17, 2004 at  4:18 PM, Paul Nijjar typed:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Jason Bechtel wrote:
>
> > This is exactly what we need!  I am working with a community technology
> > center (CTC) in Toledo, Ohio (USA, not Spain).  We are using LTSP on
> > Ubuntu.  We want to create something that will work for most CTCs,
> > though.  That means catering to low-end systems while supplying high-end
> > modern software.  Ubuntu meets our needs currently, but I just talked
> > them into helping RULE to develop a custom installer for Ubuntu (or
> > regular Debian).  Now it looks like it's closer than I thought...
>
> 	What is this installer going to be based on? If it is the new
> debian-installer (d-i) then the bottleneck will be RAM. If I remember
> correctly the minimum requirements for d-i are currently 32MB of RAM.
>
> 	Our WCLP installer is based on FAI, which (in theory) can install
> any machine that can boot into Linux. The realistic minimum here is 16MB.
> I would be happy to help you customize our installer to your needs as
> well.

Thanks for the offer, Paul!  I was planning to base the installer on
Slinky, since I am proficient in Bash and since slinky is the leanest
installer I know of.  But this FAI sounds like it would also fit the
bill.  I don't think a machine with less than 16MB of RAM is part of our
target market anyhow.  I'll let you know if we decide to go that route.

> > I think we could really create our own custom CTC-targeted RULE-ified
> > distro! What I'd really like is a custom installer that would set up one
> > of two profiles:
> >
> > 1)  RULE-ified LTSP server
> > 2)  RULE-ified standalone workstation
>
> 	Have you looked at Skolelinux? Their project sounds very similar
> to yours. Their installer (also based on debian-installer) has the
> capability to set up LTSP servers and workstations. The standalone
> configuration takes 3GB of hard drive space, but that could be trimmed
> down by modifying the installer.
>
> 	There is also the FreeGeek people in Portland, who have ties to
> the "Debian-NP" custom distribution.
>
> 	Both of these are based on Debian, not Ubuntu per se. But if you
> are looking for something to build on then you (we?) could join forces
> with them.

Thanks for the tips.  I will definitely look into these options.

Jason

Rule-list at rule-project.org