[RULE] slinky fails using up2date RedHat 9 CD-ROMs

John Reiser jreiser at BitWagon.com
Sun Jan 9 03:25:23 EET 2005

Michael Fratoni wrote:
> On Saturday 08 January 2005 11:25, John Reiser wrote:
>
>>slinky-v0.3.96 failed to install a completely up2date set of RedHat 9

> Slinky is designed to install the "official" Red Hat release, it will
> fail if you attempt to install from updated media. (Unless you update
> all of the package lists, see the README file.)

The only relevant note that I see in the README says:
    A disk or image containing updated versions of the
    rpms on Red Hat disk 1 will also work, provided you
    generate new *_packages files. I use scripts to generate
    the package lists, and will make them available to
    anyone who requires them.

I suggest that this note could be improved to say also that NOT updating
the package lists WILL cause failure.  I suggest that the installer
could be improved, at little or no cost in memory usage,
to detect the first failure and communicate the exact reason to the
user.  The very first package on my CD-ROMs, glibc-2.3.3-27, fails
because it is not the exact glibc-2.3.2-11.9 that slinky asks for.
The installer should have said so.  As a third suggestion, please
put into the slinky-*.iso the scripts for updating the package lists.
There is room in the .iso :-).  In my part of the world, updated
RedHat 9 CD-ROMs are much more common than the originals.

Creating an installer that runs in 12MB of RAM is an achievement.
I was disappointed that I could not appreciate it because the
installer did not deal gracefully with updated packages.

Rule-list at rule-project.org