[RULE] slinky fails using up2date RedHat 9 CD-ROMs

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Wed Jan 12 06:45:38 EET 2005

On Saturday 08 January 2005 20:25, John Reiser wrote:

> I suggest that this note could be improved to say also that NOT
> updating the package lists WILL cause failure.  I suggest that the
> installer could be improved, at little or no cost in memory usage,
> to detect the first failure and communicate the exact reason to the
> user.  The very first package on my CD-ROMs, glibc-2.3.3-27, fails
> because it is not the exact glibc-2.3.2-11.9 that slinky asks for.
> The installer should have said so.  As a third suggestion, please
> put into the slinky-*.iso the scripts for updating the package lists.
> There is room in the .iso :-).  In my part of the world, updated
> RedHat 9 CD-ROMs are much more common than the originals.

I don't disagree, things could be more clear. However, Red Hat 9 is
quite out of date, we've moved on to Fedora. Linux in general, and
Fedora in particular, is a fast moving target. Keeping up with current
releases is hard, backporting improvements is harder....

One goal I've always had is to move away from the static package lists
so that updated packages don't break the installer. If we get to that
point, fixing older versions shouldn't be as difficult.

By the way if it's any consolation, it took me several attempts before I
was able to get the most recent version of the installer to
successfully complete on my i586 laptop. That'll teach me to take a
year off.... <grin>

-Michael