[RULE] From Greenland- Slinky install problem-possibly very similar to <slinky fails using up2date RedHat 9 CD-ROMs>

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabriel at teuton.org
Tue Jan 18 04:24:30 EET 2005

On Monday 17 January 2005 07:41 pm, Jaxon Abroad wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> To honor the request on the mailing list page I'm going to introduce
> myself quick...
> My name is Jackson Klein, I'm 18 years old and living in Nuuk,

Welcome, Jackson!

> Oh yes…. I believe that the only difference between John's issue and
> mine COULD be different versions(?) of Linux. If I looked in the right
> place (the header of the main readme file on RH9 disc1) I think my
> version is called Red Hat Linux/x86 9 (Shrike).
> Note: anything without // is quoted from screen (for the most part...)

You have the right disc.

> //Choose cdrom for installation
> I'll try to use /dev/hdb as your cd drive.

Hmmmm....  It's been a while since I've used slinky... but usually the cdrom
in linux is on /dev/hdc.  Maybe try that.

> //Choose filesystem ext2 (I don't really know what my best choice here
> is, but that's not the issue at hand)

good choice.

> To which device would you like to install RULE? There is no default
> value, please enter a valid device from the list below. (perhaps the
> problem starts here...)
> [hda ]: _
> //I type "hda" as that is the only "listed" choice.

...you did will with hda.

> //I choose fdisk
> //I create two 600mb partitions because I don't really understand how

I recommend setting swap to  no more than 128MB.
Use the rest for your "root" partition.

> The following is your partition layout (Linux partitions only):
> /dev/hda1 1 153 616864+ 82  Linux swap
> /dev/hda2 154 306 616896 83  Linux

You should set the "boot" flag on /dev/hda2.  I think it's manifested by an *
between /dev/hda2 and 154.

> //The preparing of packages finishes with no visible errors. This is
> where things start going awry.

What did it look like?  It should have looked something like:

Installing db-1.2.3-i386.rpm
Preparing:  ############################################# 100%
Installing: #####################                          60%

For all the files, and it should have taken about an hour to complete.

IF NOT:  It most likely means that it didn't actually find your CD-ROM.
Slinky doesn't do much in the way of error checking... so it just keeps
plugging away.

Try this.  You may even want to post the results to the group:

1. Boot the slinky boot disk.
2. When you get to the intro screen, hit Ctrl+Alt+F2
3. Hit enter.
4. Put the Red Hat cd into the drive.
5. Enter command: 'mount /dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom'
6. What messages do you get?
7. Enter command: 'ls /mnt/cdrom'
8. What messages do you get?
9. Enter command: 'umount /mnt/cdrom'
10. What messages do you get?
11. Enter command: 'mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom'
12. messages?
13. Enter command: 'ls /mnt/cdrom'
14. messages?
15. Enter command: 'umount /mnt/cdrom'
16. messags?
17. Just for grins, enter: 'cat /proc/pci' and tell us what you see.

> Also very sorry that this post is so long, I wasn't/am not sure what
> is needed and what is unneeded information.

            G a b r i e l   M .  B e d d i n g f i e l d

Rule-list at rule-project.org