[RULE] Re: From Greenland- Slinky install problem-possibly very

Jaxon Abroad jaxonabroad at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 02:30:30 EET 2005

Well this was a productive way to spend some time. I worked through
both Gabriel and Michael's instructions and recorded everything. After
this process I decided that before posting my results I should also
follow ????'s advice and check the disc for errors. I wasn't sure what
the best method was for doing this. I was pretty sure that by
attempting to copy the entire disc onto my hard drive I would be
notified of most post-disc creation damage. The copy process was
nearly finished with about 25 seconds remaining when I got this
message...

Cannot copy tuxracer-0.61-19.i386: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

I cleaned the cd and tried again with the same result. I have a
feeling this is the root of my problem. I have included the reports on
both suggestions below in case the disc problem is not the issue
(unlikely). Assuming this is the problem, is there any kind of work
around? Coming by a new copy of RH will not be terribly easy in Nuuk
however I do have access to decently fast internet. If someone could
direct me to a good download site I could probably download a disc
worth of files in about 2 hours. Thank you all again for your help
with this. Below is my initial report before finding the disc error...

I wasn't able to control-alt-f2 or alt-f2 from the first/welcome
screen however after hitting enter and starting the install process I
pressed alt-f2 and got into the other console. First I went through
the list from Gabriel, after which I tried Michael's. The results are
below. I am not really sure what to make of them.

# mount dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom
mount: /dev/hdb is write protected, mounting read-only
VFS: Can't find ext2 filesystem on dev ide0(3,64).
mount: /dev/hdb is write protected, mounting read-only
cramfs: wrong magic
mount: /dev/hdb is write protected, mounting read-only
FAT: bogus logical sector size 0
VFS: Can't find a valit FAT filesystem on dev 03:40
mount: /dev/hdb is write protected, mounting read-only
FAT: bogus logical sector size 0
VFS: Can't find a valit FAT filesystem on dev 03:40
mount: /dev/hdb is write protected, mounting read-only

# ls /mnt/cdrom
EULA	README.pt_BR	RELEASE-NOTES-pt_BR.html
GPL	README.ZH_CN	RELEASE-NOTES-ZH-_CN.HTML
README	README.ZH_TW	RELEASE-NOTES-ZH_TW.HTML
README –ACCESIBILITY         RELEASE-NOTES        RELEASE-NOTES.HTML
README.DE	RELEASE-NOTES-DE.HTML	RPM-CPG-KEY
README.ES	RELEASE-NOTES-ES.HTML	REDHAT
README.FR	RELEASE-NOTES-FR.HTML	TRANS.TBL
README.IT	RELEASE-NOTES-IT.HTML	AUTORUN
README.JA	RELEASE-NOTES-JA-HTML	DOSUTILS
README.KO	RELEASE-NOTES-KO-HTML	IMAGES
README.PT	RELEASE-NOTES-PT.HTML	ISOLINUX

# umount /mnt/cdrom
//nothing happens, cursor just goes down to next line

# mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom
mount: Mounting /dev/hdc on /mnt/cdrom failed: No such device or address

# ls /mnt/cdrom
nothing obviously

# umount /mnt/cdrom
umount: /mnt/cdrom: Invalid argument

# cat /proc/pci
about 20 lines of stuff.... perhaps about pci devices and memory....?
Do you want to write it all down?

As to Michael's advice, I just did this in the f2-console after I
finished with Gabriel's tests. Is that when/where you wanted it?
Either way I was doing something a bit wrong I guess.

# mkdir /mnt/filesystem
# mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/filesystem
EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
# ls /mnt/filesystem/root/scripts/install.log
ls: /mnt/filesystem/root/scripts/install.log: No such file or directory

Here are some quick clarifications to things, which were perhaps not
explained fully the first time.

>> //I choose fdisk
>> //I create two 600mb partitions because I don't really understand how

>I recommend setting swap to  no more than 128MB.
>Use the rest for your "root" partition.

>> The following is your partition layout (Linux partitions only):
>> /dev/hda1 1 153 616864+ 82  Linux swap
>> /dev/hda2 154 306 616896 83  Linux

>You should set the "boot" flag on /dev/hda2.  I think it's manifested by an *
>between /dev/hda2 and 154.

I tried the installation again and added the boot flag to hda2. I also
made the swap partition 128M. What about the should the remainder of
my space go into /dev/hda2 or an entirely new partition? If another
partition how much space should I give /dev/hda2?

>> //The preparing of packages finishes with no visible errors. This is
>> where things start going awry.

>What did it look like?  It should have looked something like:

>Installing db-1.2.3-i386.rpm
>Preparing:  ############################################# 100%
>Installing: #####################                          60%

>For all the files, and it should have taken about an hour to complete.

>IF NOT:  It most likely means that it didn't actually find your CD-ROM.
>Slinky doesn't do much in the way of error checking... so it just keeps
>plugging away.

// Sorry that I was not more clear about this part. When prompted to
select other options like laptop support and various programs and such
I selected NO for each to shorten install time because I was pretty
sure it wouldn't work either way. After this, just as in your example,
different files come up followed by ############# 100%
This last for about 15 minutes, maybe 20. It goes through all of these
########100% just fine. After they are finished the first error
message comes.

Error reported while installing kernel-2.4.20-8.i586.rpm
Finished installing RPMs.

Unmounting and ejecting cdrom...
/root/scripts/base_install.sh: unount: No such file or directory
/root/scripts/base_install.sh: eject: No suh file or directory
Done.

--
Jaxon L. Klein
Home phone +299 320 191