[RULE] Re: From Greenland- Slinky install problem-possibly very

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabriel at teuton.org
Wed Jan 19 03:48:50 EET 2005

On Tuesday 18 January 2005 06:30 pm, Jaxon Abroad wrote:
> this process I decided that before posting my results I should also
> follow ????'s advice and check the disc for errors. I wasn't sure what
> the best method was for doing this. I was pretty sure that by

IIRC, Red Hat discs usually come with a boot-up utility to check your media.
If you boot to the cd-rom, selected an option that says something like "check
installation media" or "check media" or "check discs" or "test cd".

> attempting to copy the entire disc onto my hard drive I would be
> notified of most post-disc creation damage. The copy process was
> nearly finished with about 25 seconds remaining when I got this
> message...
>
> Cannot copy tuxracer-0.61-19.i386: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
>
> I cleaned the cd and tried again with the same result. I have a
> feeling this is the root of my problem. I have included the reports on

After reading the rest of your messages, that would be my guess.  It looks
like the cd mounted (good) and started to install stuff (good).  So my guess
is that either:

1. the disc is corrupt (physical corruption)
2. the data is corrupt
3. the drive is bad.
4. other!

IMHO, either 1 or 2 is the most likely cause.  I suggest that you get a new
RH9 disc to install from.

> (unlikely). Assuming this is the problem, is there any kind of work
> around? Coming by a new copy of RH will not be terribly easy in Nuuk
> however I do have access to decently fast internet. If someone could
> direct me to a good download site I could probably download a disc
> worth of files in about 2 hours. Thank you all again for your help
> with this. Below is my initial report before finding the disc error...

Here's one mirror:

ftp://ftp.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/redhat/linux/9/en/iso/i386/

A list of *likely* mirrors is here:

http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html

However, you'll need to change directories from fedora to redhat.  Since RH9
is pretty old, many mirrors have dropped it.

Peace,
Gabriel

--
            G a b r i e l   M .  B e d d i n g f i e l d

Rule-list at rule-project.org