[RULE] Problem with Slinky 0.3.96

Richard Kweskin rkwesk at hellug.gr
Wed Feb 16 11:16:57 EET 2005

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 16:35:06 -0500
Richard Reiner wrote:

> I'm doing a floppy-only install of RH9 on a laptop (no CDROM) using
> Slinky 0.3.96.
>
> I figured out how to get my PCMCIA network card up (i.e. mount the
> PCMCIA floppy, run setup-pcmcia from it, then edit
> /scripts/setup-network.sh and run /scripts/pcmcia.sh... note that the
> documentation at http://www.rule-project.org/article.php3?id_article=54
> doesn't give anything like an accurate description of this process).

Hello Richard

(My name is Richard, too) Sorry about the documentation. I will have another look at it but if you could point us in the right places it would speed things up.

> I can then do an HTTP-based install, and everything seems to go well.
> I can see packages being installed, and everything looks good.
>
> However, near the end of the process (when I am asked for a
> non-privileged username) things begin to visibly fail -- passwd can't
> be found, then lilo can't be found, and finally the result is a
> non-bootable system.

May I suggest, at the time when you are asked for the username, that you switch over to tty2 (holding down the Alt-key and pressing the F2-key) then press the Enter-key to give you super user rights inside busybox. Then mount a new floppy and copy the file /root/scripts/install_log. Also, ifconfig > /mnt/floppy/ifconfig and df -h > /mnt/floppy/df and give us these read outs so we might help you pin this down.

Rule-list at rule-project.org