[RULE] Install on Laptop with NO FLOPPY drive

Billy Tallis wtallis at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 01:00:00 EEST 2005

> > But EQUALLY IMPORTANT:
> >
> > how would I go about installing a RULE'd FEDORA Core 3 with NO floppy drive
> > available and a laptop that's not USB-Stick bootable?
> > (I went to "PHASE OUT" floppies some time ago  - and after all I have always
> > been able to work around resulting problems .... .-)
>
> Download the slinky image and burn it to a cd is one option. Using a LAN is another....
>
> > I guess the .img file will not work for me - and you don't seem to have an ISO
> > image for Fedora (yet).
>
> mkiso with the slinky image after mounting it with the loop option?
> >
> > Install an earlier ISO of yours and upgrade somehow?
>
> Much more complicated   :((
>
> > If need be, a network install may be possible, too. Over the Net or maybe
> > setting up my own NFS or FTP server  on other machine where I can put some
> > packages or something.

If you can boot to a cd, which you probably can, that is almost always
the best option for installing on a single machine. If not, you can
write the USB image to a partition using dd, and load that with your
current bootloader. You can then overwrite that partition during
installation. This method worked for me to install FC3 (without RULE)
on an old IBM. I will soon be trying again with RULE.

Rule-list at rule-project.org