[RULE] other distros

James Miller jamtat at mailsnare.net
Wed Apr 27 16:49:55 EEST 2005

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005, Richard Kweskin wrote:

> what is preventing anyone from adapting the same process with other
> distros? One effort does not preclude another. My own small contribution
> was to try to provoke certain Debian coders here in Greece to come up
> with minimal lists of deb packages as Michael has done with the rpm's of
> all these versions up until now. No one has yet.  :((

Ingo made a start on this (though he's probably not in Greece) in a post
he made to the Ubuntu forums. He even developed a web page with
instructions for doing a minimal Ubuntu (modified Debian) install. Given
the way the Debian system works, I don't think you could get the final
product much smaller than he managed to (somewhere around 400MB, IIRC).
That sort of system remains up-to-date so long as Canonical is supporting
that particular Ubuntu release (18 months, if memory serves) and one has a
reliable 'net connection so one can obtain security fixes and updates. One
might even be able to upgrade it to the next Ubuntu release by switching
over apt repositories.

Using Ubuntu like this probably requires something like at least a 486
with 32 MB RAM and at least 1 GB HD. I don't think one would want to try
it on anything less capable than that. Using such an underpowered machine
would probably be a real exercize in patience for those of us used to
working with much more hefty resources.

James

Rule-list at rule-project.org