[RULE] LinuxJournal article

M. Fioretti mfioretti
Thu May 19 07:59:54 EEST 2005

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 11:28:28 AM +0300, Richard Kweskin
 rkwesk at hellug.gr  wrote:

> As a matter of fact, it is worth pointing out that [the RULE]
> approach with newer hardware, too, is an asset, since it flies in
> comparison with the standard approach.

EXACTLY! If you can get a modern (functionality wise) SOHO desktop on
a 5/6 years old machines, it means that you could get the same thing
with something built today much smaller and less power-hungry than a
laptop.... if they only produced them in bulk,that is at a decent
price...

> Another project I am involved with was looking for a computer to be
> a taperecorder for hours of speech. I was delighted to say that RULE
> provides Fedora 3 with Alsa, only needing 232 MB of hard disk
> footprint. Udev and all the other uptodate goodies are there because
> Fedora 3 provides them.

Yet another proof that our approach (do NOT relegate people to older
Linux distros, because they wouldn't do much useful with it) is a
valid one). Regardless, one should note, of which distro is actually
slimmed down.

Richard, may I ask you to prepare a page describing that tape
recorder? Thanks!

Ciao,
	Marco

--
Marco Fioretti                    mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Fedora Core 3 for low memory      http://www.rule-project.org/

"If automobiles had followed the same development cycle as the
computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per
gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside."
                                                      --Robert Cringley

Rule-list at rule-project.org