[RULE] Another web server for RULE?

C David Rigby cdrigby at 9online.fr
Tue Jun 14 22:43:32 EEST 2005

M. Fioretti wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>As far as I understand it now, there is nothing I can do to restore
>the website right now. I do have ssh access to the server, but the
>problem seems to be in the mysql/php configuration which, as far as I
>know, I have no access to.
>
>I've tried in the last 7/10 days to contact Rodolfo (the server
>sysadmin) to figure out with him what and how to patch.
>
>So far, however, Rodolfo hasn't answered, so he's probably on a
>business trip or similar, but I have no idea when he'll be back.
>
>Now, just to gain some time: is there anybody who can host temporarily
>the website to some other always connected LAMP server? Just to restart inserting
>content in the SPIP CMS system: we could migrate them back to the
>original server as soon as Rodolfo is back.
>
>Basically I need an Internet server with php + mysql and spip
>(www.spip.net) installed. I don't even need shell access, just some
>assistance to start, then I can do everything from the browser.
>
>Bandwidth is not an issue, since ISO images, boot floppies and such
>will remain on the original server: I can still upload stuff there
>myself.
>
>TIA,
>	Marco F.

Hi Marco,

I can try to set up the same system that we used last year for testing.
It may take a day or two as I am under a pretty heavy work load between
now and the end of June. On the other hand, computer geekery is a lot
more fun than what I'm supposed to be working on! It will be a Debian
GNU/Linux setup, which is what is installed right now.

BTW, I should acknowledge that my recommendation of SPIP may not have
been such a good one. In looking at their site, I see that they are
still using PHP 3, while the official production version is 5.something.
So, this will be an ongoing issue for any up2date server that we could
use just about anywhere.

Do you need me to set up Apache, MySQL and config PHP for you, or are
you comfortable doing that? I do not mind to give you root access, and
you'll get it quicker the more that you can do yourself rather than
waiting for me to get it all set up. But however you wish to work it is
fine.

Ciao
CDR