[RULE] Definitely another web server for RULE (was: website still dead, was: Another web server for RULE?)

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Sun Aug 7 21:33:22 EEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 07:53 +0200, C David Rigby wrote:
> I hope Rodolfo is okay! Goodness...

Yes, I am OK. And thank you for your concern, by the way.

I have had a couple of very difficult months, with a great deal of
complications and difficulties, BUT all of those complications have had
happy endings. So I am most definitely OK now, and things are going
extremely well.

However, it has become clear to me that I will need to make some changes
in my life, and one of them is that I must retire from technology.
Other, more important, parts of my life (family, work, flying) are
demanding 110% of my time, and I no longer have the time to actively
participate in the Linux/Internet community as I have done for the last
16 years. This is slightly sad for me, but still I am quitting this in
order to do things which are MORE important to me, so the benefit does
indeed outweigh the cost.

Besides, it was becoming increasingly difficult for me to attend to the
responsibilities I have in this Linux world, including (as you are all
painfully aware) those as RULE's server admin. In the last four months,
it had become all but impossible for me to spend any time on this at
all, and I have caused you all (and Marco especially) a great deal of
trouble and loss. For that, I most humbly apologize.

I will shut down my server as soon as is conveniently possible and I can
get my 5-10 domains moved somewhere else. So RULE's present
infrastructure will be going away, IF AND WHEN (especially when) we are
able to calmly and comfortably set up shop somewhere else.

I will continue to support and sponsor RULE's infrastructure: I will
continue to renew and run the domain name "rule-project.org", and I will
be happy to pay for RULE's webhosting on some other server where we can
actually count on tech support and Marco can have complete and 100%
access to everything.

Let us begin the search for a new home for RULE. Let us search for
reliable, solid service (with tech support!) and for enough space and
bandwidth to serve all of RULE's needs including file downloads. Let us
search for quality, and not be seduced by any dirt-cheap pricing. And
when we find a new home, it will be my privilege to cover all costs.

I realize that this is piling one more new problem/task onto Marco, and
again for that I apologize. I do hope that a few other people can help
him with this move, since infrastructure problems are hindering RULE's
development and progress and that's a bloody shame.

Does anyone have a favorite webhosting company? Any suggestions for a
new home?

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>