[RULE] RULE web server in Athens?

Marco Fioretti mfioretti
Tue Aug 9 17:13:11 EEST 2005

Hello all

Richard K. wrote:
> I am happy to announce (I needed time to check first, that is
> why I had said nothing before this) that my local LUG here in
> Greece is very pleased (they were honoured, in fact at the
> request) to take on the hosting at no charge.

first of all, thanks a lot to Richard for checking, and also to
all the others who suggested other providers.
Right now, the offer above seems the best solution to me for two
reasons:

1) the cost, or lack of it, but, above all, what Richard himself
   said:
2) > My role [in a RULE <-> Athens LUG partnership] is as liason.

in other words, what I like most is the fact that there would be a
backup (to *me*, not just to the server) and/or another RULE member
on site in case something else goes wrong in the future.

So, should anything happen, we would all know that, even if I am on
vacation/business trip/whatever:

the Athens LUG guys could fix the technical part but, also, Richard
could work in strict (face to face?) contact with them to test the
website and/or update it through the web interface.

I hoped that Richard would be willing to do this since it's just an
emergency/backup role and because in the past he asked for an editor
account on the website. I have checked with him off list, and he tells
me he's available.

So, unless I missed something, I'd go with this offer. What do you
think? If there's a flaw in the reasoning above and/or there are better
proposals, please let us know.

Ciao,
Marco

Rule-list at rule-project.org