Installation attempt, slinky-0.5.02 [Was Re: [RULE] slinky-0.5.02 for Fedora Core 4 FC4]

C David Rigby cdrigby at 9online.fr
Thu Aug 18 12:25:55 EEST 2005

Hello Franz, et. al.,

I have had a bit more time to work with Franz's new intaller, so here is
a little more feedback. This references our exchange on 5 August 2005,
but I have snipped all except the relevant portions.

Franz Zahaurek wrote:

> <snip - discussion of loading modules that are needed to access my
> PCMCIA-connected external SCSI CD-ROM drive>
>
>>A. After placing my second floppy in the drive, I issued the command
>>"mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy"
>>

>If you mount the floppy at /lib/modules you don't need to cd and
>module dependencies should be resolved automatically.

I reworked my modules floppy. So as to mimic the directory structure of
the full slinky-0.5.02-modules.img, I created various subdirectories and
copied files from the image to the floppy. Some of this may be
unnecessary, but it all fit, and it works, so I was conservative. The
directory structure of the floppy now looks like this:

/lost+found/
/2.6.11.12/kernel /drivers/pcmcia/rsrc_nonstatic.ko
/2.6.11.12/kernel /drivers/pcmcia/yenta_socket.ko
/2.6.11.12/kernel /drivers/scsi/sd_mod.ko
/2.6.11.12/kernel /drivers/scsi/sr_mod.ko
/2.6.11.12/kernel /drivers/scsi/sg.ko  (this module is not really needed
for this install)
/2.6.11.12/kernel /drivers/scsi/pcmcia/aha152x_cs.ko
/2.6.11.12/kernel /drivers/scsi/pcmcia/qlogic_cs.ko (I have one of these
also, but not yet tried)
/2.6.11.12/modules.* (all files of this type - maybe I do not need them?)

Now, the following commands serve to load the needed drivers to access
the external SCSI CD-ROM drive:

insmod rsrc_nonstatic.ko
insmod yenta_socket.ko
insmod aha152x_cs.ko
insmod sd_mod.ko
insmod sr_mod.ko

Followed by these commands:

cardmgr       (activates PCMCIA-subsystem & probes for CD-ROM drive,
links it to /dev/scd0)
ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom (link so that the installer can find the CD)

For repeated installs on this machine, I can simply dump all of that
into a script. For future developement, possibly a more sophisticated
"connect_2_pcmcia_cdrom" might be able to probe multiple modules, etc.
Just a thought...

>>Per that message, which indicates that I should only use the "cdrom"
>>entry if I have a link that points from /dev/cdrom to my CD-drive's
>>actual device, I typed in "cdrom" and pressed ENTER.
>>

>See the script: "/scripts/select_method.sh" where this is performed.
>You find it when you switch to the second virtual console.
>

>>11. I got a message that said, in full, "I will try to use <cdrom> as
>>your cd drive. You will have the opportunity to change this later in
>>the install, if need be. "OK" is highlighted at the bottom of the
>>message window.
>>
>>12. I pressed ENTER (repeatedly) but the installer never left that window.
>>

>It seems to be exactly what you describe: an endless loop - sorry.
>Look at line 478 of select_method.sh, it reads as:
>
>    echo CDROM_DEV=$CDROM_DEV >> $install_log
>    ;;
>
>Add the following line:
>
>    echo CDROM_DEV=$CDROM_DEV >> $install_log
>    have_device=1                     <<<<==== add this line
>    ;;

The script was still stuck in a loop here, so I editted the script
further. Here is the relevant bit of code, which is at the very end of
the file /scripts/select_method.sh in the rootfs.gz image inside
slinky--0.5.02-disk1.img:

    I will try to use <$CDROM_DEV> as your cd drive.
    You will have the opportunity to change this
    later in the install, if need be.
" 12 70
    done

    echo CDROM_DEV=$CDROM_DEV >> $install_log
    have_device=1
    ;;

The addition of the line "have_device=1" didn't quite get it, but I
finally realized that the "done" above, which is the end of the
preceeding "while" loop, needed to be below the setting of the flag
variable. So, I changed it, and this worked to proceed with the
installation:

    I will try to use <$CDROM_DEV> as your cd drive.
    You will have the opportunity to change this
    later in the install, if need be.
" 12 70
#    done

    echo CDROM_DEV=$CDROM_DEV >> $install_log
    have_device=1
    done
    ;;

I'll update my installation report with these modifications once I get a
little further.

Ciao
CDRigby

Rule-list at rule-project.org