[RULE] Installation success - FC4 on numberfive (Compaq Presario 1625 portable, AMD K6-233/64MB RAM/4 GB HDD)

C David Rigby cdrigby at 9online.fr
Thu Aug 18 21:41:18 EEST 2005

Thanks Franz,

A couple of quick responses, trimming to just the topic of response.

Franz Zahaurek wrote:

>You are posting from a fr-domain.  Are you happy with the us-keyboard
>definition?

I am a US citizen that lives now in France. The notebook in question
came from the US. The US keyboard def works fine for this and the rest
of my collection of low-end portables (all rescued discards that made
the journey to Paris).

>>8. On the Choose Installation method screen, Item #1: cdrom was
>>highlighted, so I just pressed ENTER.
>>

>I think there should be a further option: "Manually mount inst-source"

Oops. I'll look closer next time.

>I think that fdisk is really the easyest way to perform flexible
>partitioning - and it is part of busybox.  And we are not concerend with
>raid and lvm configuration here.

Agreed.

>>19. Item #11, In_newroot_context:Install_FC4. I press ENTER. I am
>>asked to insert the CD. It is there, so I press ENTER. It does not
>>work, so I go through the manual mount procedure described under
>>19. above.
>>

>Since I split up the installation to many single scripts that can be
>called in a random and independent order it was necessary to
>mount/unmount the installation medium every time the installation
>script was called.  In your special case this is very uncomfortable as
>you have to mount the cdrom manually several times.  With ATAPI-cdrom
>this is no problem.  The cdrom stays in the drive and can be easily
>mounted again.

That's fine - it makes perfect sense. While developing the installer,
flexibility takes precedence over convenience.

>Thanks again for your detailed report.  I try to add your fixes as soon
>as possible.  Please be patient.
>
>- Franz

No problem - thanks for working on the installer!

Ciao
CDR

Rule-list at rule-project.org