[RULE] Athens server status report 1

C David Rigby cdrigby at 9online.fr
Tue Sep 13 12:26:36 EEST 2005

Hello Richard,

That works well for me, as the machine that is my current firewall is
also running Debian testing, and it has a 2nd 3GB HDD that should be
sufficient to hold the testing website.

So far, the only thing that it is configured to serve is sshd & apache
1.33. But I have established a DNS redirect of rule-test.dyndns.org, and
I can log in remotely via ssh and I can view the "congrats - you've got
apache" default web page. So, that is a start.

However, I am traveling to the USA for the next two weeks. Assuming the
equipment does not go down while I am away, I can begin assembling the
test site once we know the Apache branch and SQL database we need to run
to conduct tests. Connecting to the computer here in Paris should not be
difficult - I've done it before.

Of course, if I get fumble-fingered and mess up the firewall script from
afar, things will probably grind to a halt. I'll try to leave that
alone. Performance on this old hardware (P200 w/64 MB RAM), and no
traffic-shaping done yet, may be so poor as to make the whole thing
unusable. If so, I can ameliorate things when I get back by tuning the
firewall/router config on this machine, as well as activating the real
server that sits behind it. As of yet, the intended server hardware is
not set up with the Debian testing distribution.

In the meantime, anyone interested in helping setup the test server
should write to me, and we can set up an account for you on the current
machine once the basics are in place.

Regards,
CDR

Rule-list at rule-project.org