[Rule] Red Hat wants open-source developers to help slim down Fedora Core as part of MIT's $100 laptop

M. Fioretti mfioretti
Tue Feb 7 08:53:05 EET 2006

On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 13:27:09 PM +0000, Liam Proven  lproven at gmail.com  wrote:

> "Fedora Core, a popular flavor of Linux being developed by the
> open-source community, is hardly hefty by today's operating system
> standards. But to fit the tight specs for the $100 laptop being
> designed by MIT's One-Lap-Per-Child (OLPC) group, Fedora will need to
> go on a crash diet, concedes its overseer, Red Hat Inc."
>
> http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/linux/story/0,10801,108217,00.html

This is great news. I was waiting for something like this to happen,
but not by Red Hat itself. I am quite skeptical for a lot of reason
about the OLPC idea, but when I first read of it I *did* think "well,
if nothing else it *will* force Linux packagers and developers to do
things more efficiently, and *any* limited computer will benefit from
it".

Reading that this could happen straight in Fedora, that is some
professional could finally do what we started doing part time 4 years
before them, is even better. As Larry Wall said, laziness is one of
the great virtues of each programmer!

Sure enough, I *am* going to write to Red Hat on behalf of RULE,
pointing out all the work in the same direction that Franz and Michael
before him did.  And I encourage any other list member to do the same!

We're living in interesting times!

Marco

--
Marco Fioretti                    mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Fedora Core 3 for low memory      http://www.rule-project.org/

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and
I'm not sure about the former.  -Albert Einstein