[Rule] RULE-Project for the Intel Dot.Station

Richard Kweskin rkwesk at hellug.gr
Wed Feb 15 14:06:06 EET 2006

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 12:29:30 -0600
"Alexandro Colorado" <jza at openoffice.org> wrote:

> Great thanks, my second question is which X does the RULE iso comes with
> or is it just a base install with no X at all?

The RULE project has not produced an iso lately (unless I missed something.) The latest is a version of Slinky,0.5.04 (what the project has named the installer) that is available as a floppy image and simply is an alternative to Fedora's installer, Ananconda. Independently of what is on our website, it is necessary to obtain the iso's of Fedora with which to use Slinky.

Slinky is a text (rather than graphic) mode installer and works with a smaller base package list than Ananconda does. There are options to add a small number of packages (again, in contrast to a greater number that Ananconda uses) to provide the minimum rpm's from Fedora of Xorg so that the tar file of k-drive I mentioned in my earlier post will complete the TinyX that you need. Also provided through using Slinky are options to add a small number of packages for network, ppp, printing and other things.

What is often assumed is that there is an independent (from Fedora or other distro) base package collection that provides a base RULE install. This is not the case.

> Another thing is if it's possible to just recompile the regular X without
> some features that will allow it to be optimized.

I am certain that this is possible but I do not know any specifics.

Richard