[Rule] About SlinkyDetect, was: Installation Template

C David Rigby c.david.rigby at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 17:32:39 EEST 2006

Automatic hardware detection has advanced quite a bit since the
underlying detect library used for slinky detect was created. I did a
bit of research/reading on the subject over the last week or so. I
turned up three sites that discuss this issue at an intermediate
level:

http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Debian/hardware-detection.html

http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Hardware_configuration

http://wiki.debian.org/?HardwareAutodetection

I'll dig a bit deeper in preparation for a hardware identification &
configuration article. I like the idea of a tool that can be run
against a room full of equipment and provide an automatic, electronic
"inventory report." That sounds like a highly useful project in its
own right, though a bit beyond what I could manage myself at this
point.

CDR