[Rule] browser based word processor (and other apps)

Billy Tallis wtallis at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 23:38:38 EEST 2006

I have not looked in-depth at the more robust ajax applications, but I
wonder how the performance compares to local applications. Right off
the bat, they will be less responsive than local apps because of
network latency. With ajax, all of the fancy GUI elements will be done
inside a complex, memory-hogging browser. The extra RAM needed for
each new application will be several times larger than if they were
using a shared library for the UI, and firefox does a very bad job of
releasing memory. Processing the javascript will also be rather slow.

Traditional client-server models put a lot more of the processing load
on the server. X leaves only the drawing of raw data for the terminal.
That is far better suited for low end machines.