[Rule] fc5 testing report

Billy Tallis wtallis at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 22:09:28 EEST 2006

> > After some fiddling with kdrive and defaultclientargs inside /usr/bin/startx, I
> > was able to get kdrive with Xfbdev working. Something quite important that I
> > really had to change was to add vga=788 inside the kernel command in
> > /boot/grub/grub.conf. Else I got no /dev/fb0 device and Xfbdev could not work.
>
> That's the fine thing about grub, that you can edit it's config while
> booting.  I remeber to have seen another magic vga=791 somewhere.  But I
> don't know what it means.

The 3 digit numbers correspond to the resolution and color depth of
the framebuffer console. You can look up the options in the
Documentation subdirectory of the kernel source, or you can use
vga=ask to get a boot-time list of what the options are. Once you have
found what works best for your screen, you can replace the 'ask' with
the right number.