[Rule] FC5 + Slinky 0.5.04 ISO somewhere?

C David Rigby c.david.rigby at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 10:44:52 EEST 2006

Hello Phil et. al.,

Is it the case that your host lacks a floppy drive? This is the case
with many newer systems.

The slinky installer is a set of bash scripts that installs standard
FC5 rpms. Currently Franz Zahaurek has created a floppy disk install
that can access the rpms from various sources, including an http
server.

For your purposes, you may wish to start from the development tarball,
which can be found on Franz's page here:

http://www.fzk.at/SLINKY/slinky-devel-0.5.05a.tar.bz2

You can use isolinux (one of the syslinux loaders created by Peter
Anvin, available here: http://syslinux.zytor.com/iso.php) to created a
bootable CD containing the development installer files. The slinky
installation environment can be loaded into a ramdisk if you have
sufficient RAM (if your host is running a full-fledged FC5
installation, you certainly have sufficient resources for the
installer). The CD can then be unmounted and the first FC5 CD used for
the install.

I do not know anything about Xen, though, so this may not really be a
good approach.

Personally, I'd be happy to learn more and help with doing an
installation in such an environment - it sounds like a really good use
of slinky. Unfortunately, I am in the midst of moving from Paris to
Singapore. My internet connectivity is intermittent, and my computing
resources are becoming increasingly dispersed. Once things settle down
(mid August 2006 or there abouts) I'd be happy to take a hack at it,
if you are still interested.

Regards,
C David Rigby