[Rule] Sugar on everything?

M. Fioretti mfioretti
Thu Feb 8 23:36:47 EET 2007

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 15:30:18 PM +0000, Liam Proven
 lproven at gmail.com  wrote:

> This is a post from my blog, but I thought it might be of interest
> here...

It is, thanks.

> But I'm wondering. I'm not actually a big fan of the OLPC idea.

Same for me.

> Whereas it's a great, laudable notion, I think that existing
> charities ... are doing something more sustainable: recycling
> discarded Western business machines and shipping them to schools

I agree. When the local teachers are prepared to use those computer,
of course. Speaking of saving computers from landfills, there is also
the issue that nobody seems to have figured out how the OLPCs
themselves will be stopped from polluting when they break:

http://www.olpcnews.com/prototypes/olpc/one_environmental_laptop.html

> Is there any point or relevance in creating a special version of the
> OLPC's cut-down Fedora with its Sugar GUI?

I don't know, mainly because I haven't looked at Sugar yet. However,
one of the points of RULE was to not discriminate users, meaning that
after installation they could install the same stuff and use the same
tutorials and online fora as everybody else. Would use Sugar put
people in a situation where they can't find docs or online help
because "sorry, we only run the standard Fedora GUIS (including the
lighter ones, XFCE etc...), we don't know how to help you"?

Ciao,
	Marco

--
Marco Fioretti                    mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Fedora Core 5 for low memory      http://www.rule-project.org/

Sometimes when you fill a vacuum, it still sucks.
	                    -- Bill Joy, founder of Sun Microsystems