[Rule] (was RE: Introduction)

Chris Schumann chris at idlelion.net
Sat Feb 17 01:49:44 EET 2007

<whew. Even Outlook had a REALLY hard time forcing this to plain text.>

OK. I downloaded Slinky 0.5.05a, made a floppy and booted it. I tried "linux
floppy=thinkpad" because this was one of the infamous laptops that required
it. Wow floppy drives are slow...

Welcome to "Slinky"!

When I press enter, I get this:
atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed (raw set 2, code 0x11c on isa0060/serio0).
atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes 1c <keycode>' to make it known.

Every key except N gives the same message. Actually, N might too, but then
it gives me the keyboard selection screen, which I cannot get past.

Alt+F1 etc also give that message, so I cannot switch consoles.

Any hints as to how to proceed?

Let me try just "linux"... Nope. Same thing.

How about slinky-detect-0.0.5? Here are the contents of the report:

#
# This report has been generated by detect 0.9.72
#

CPU:unknown:486:0:[]:16.48:(none)
MEMORY:34548:28356:0:72:3072:0:0
DISK:ATAPI/IDE:Unknown:IBM-DYKA-22110:/dev/hda:4128768:64:63:1024
FLOPPY:Floppy Drive Controller:Unknown:Unknown:/dev/fd0
MOUSE:PS/2:Unknown:Unknown:/dev/psaux
SERIAL:/dev/ttyS0:COM0
SERIAL:/dev/ttyS1:COM1
SERIAL:/dev/ttyS3:COM3

That doesn't SEEM helpful, but I'm still new here. I think one serial port
is "real", that is, attached to the serial port on the back of the machine.
One is used in an internal bay for an old CDPD modem. I think the third is
used by the pen interface.

There is no PCI, no USB, no IrDA. Here's the ThinkWiki page on my 750P:

http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:750P

Thanks,
Chris