[Rule] Using Slinky on Thinkpad 750P (was: Introduction)

Franz Zahaurek fzk at fzk.at
Sat Feb 17 13:50:42 EET 2007

Hi Chris,

"Chris Schumann" <chris at idlelion.net> writes:

> [...]
>
> OK. I downloaded Slinky 0.5.05a, made a floppy and booted it. I tried "linux
> floppy=thinkpad" because this was one of the infamous laptops that required
> it. Wow floppy drives are slow...

> Welcome to "Slinky"!
>
> When I press enter, I get this:
> atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed (raw set 2, code 0x11c on isa0060/serio0).
> atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes 1c <keycode>' to make it known.
>
> Every key except N gives the same message. Actually, N might too, but then
> it gives me the keyboard selection screen, which I cannot get past.

You are lost if every key leads to the same error.  So you cannot even
do the setkeycodes hint. (Btw.: Does the message read "code 0x11c" or
"code 0x1c"?)

> Alt+F1 etc also give that message, so I cannot switch consoles.
>
> Any hints as to how to proceed?

As you can type: linux floppy=thinkpad at the LILO-Prompt, try to add
the following kernel-parameters. They are described in
Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt in the linux-source tree.

	atkbd.reset=	[HW] Reset keyboard during initialization

Maybe this should be set to 1 or left blank.

	atkbd.set=	[HW] Select keyboard code set
			Format: <int> (2 = AT (default), 3 = PS/2)

Try the 3 because the kernel message says: raw set 2, which doesn't work.

Please notice:

Slinky has no hardware-detection at all - it only uses
whatever the LINUX kernel detects.  There are only very few but
common drivers compiled into the booting kernel.  Have a look at
/proc/config.gz of a running Slinky to see how the boot-kernel is
configurated.

You can safely do a boot with the Slinky boot-floopy on
a "more standardized" computer than your 750P is, open a shell or
switch to the second virtual console <ALT>-<F2> and do:
gzip -dc /proc/config.gz (Scroll back with <SHIFT>-<pgup> or pipe
thru a pager).

If you really need changes to this configuration, you must compile a
new kernel with these settings changed. Then copy this kernel to the
Slinky-development-tree and create a new Slinky-boot-floppy.

- Franz