[Rule] [Fwd: Re: what's next?]

John Lundin lundin at fini.net
Fri Aug 24 21:21:19 EEST 2007

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 04:07:19PM +0200, M. Fioretti wrote:
> On Wed, August 22, 2007 5:08 pm, chris at idlelion.net wrote:
> > I know it would be a ton of work up front, but might it make more
> > sense to base RULE on a more stable platform like RHEL or CentOS?
> [...]
> The main drawback for desktop end users is that Centos is mainly
> used for server work, so they may not find as much support from
> the centos mailing list as they could on Fedora or other distro
> more used as desktops. Then again, since one would not do use
> an old pc anyway to do multimedia editing or 3-D games, just
> SOHO stuff, it may not be a big deal.

On the other hand, RHE 4+ dropped support for some older hardware.

I had to back out a Centos 4 install on an elderly box I used as a
border router because they no longer supported its ISA ether cards.
Everything worked fine under Fedora 5 (and later, under FC6.)

The Debian-based distros do work nicely on older machines. The box
that this is being written on runs Xubuntu Feisty in 154M. Still,
moving target or not, it seems a shame to abandon Fedora just after it
came out with tools to make it easier to manage custom versions...

  lundin at fini.net
"I'd like to be a nerd, but I don't have the time."
   -- overheard in a computer user group meeting