[Rule] Slinky installer, lifecycle reached end?

Phil Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Mon Aug 27 13:56:57 EEST 2007

David,

On Mon, 2007-08-27 at 07:28 +0200, C David Rigby wrote:
> Hello Franz,
>
> I agree with you on this, mostly because I see the main fedora
> becoming less sustainable on resource constrained machines the further
> it develops. I have the intention of trying to extend floppy-based
> slinky to fedora 7 myself, but I've no illusions - it is sure to be a
> difficult task. I've been away from fedora for a couple release
> cycles, so I certainly have a lot of catching up to do. At the very
> least, I would like to be able to figure out how to perform a minimal
> installation of fedora 7 on my old P-III system which cannot boot from
> CD. For me, this might just be a question of booting the
> network-installer from an image on hard disk,

I have been upgrading the last few versions of Fedora on my laptop (no
CD or FD) by copying the install stuff (via the network) to a user
partition, modifying the grub.conf and booting the existing system but
selecting the install stuff to install (which wipes out the current
system partitions).

> or creating a bootable floppy that can launch the installation
> environment on the CD.
>
> Other questions/thoughts:
>
>      1. Is a "slimmed-down" version of fedora 7 itself still possible
>         or desirable?

It is desirable for me.

>      1. Other uses for slinky, such as setting up a VM-hosted OS, have
>         been proposed. Given that slinky now sets up a very minimal
>         system for which the user must still install applications,
>         maybe slinky becomes an installer and/or script(s) for
>         retrieving packages from the repositories to configure a basic
>         end user (or server/appliance/whatever) system?

This would suit me.

>      1. Maybe slinky should evolve towards using ISO, USB or other
>         media as its delivery platform? Should we follow the trend of
>         dropping floppy support?

This would suit me too but older systems might not have USB connections?

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

Pricom Pty Limited  (ACN 003 252 275  ABN 91 003 252 275)
GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW      2001
Australia
Fax:     +61:(0)2-8221-9599