[Rule] Slinky installer, lifecycle reached end?

Chris Schumann chris at idlelion.net
Mon Aug 27 19:28:37 EEST 2007

Franz Zahaurek wrote:
> But I think things have changed too much since slinky started.  Floppies are not
> even available any more - we all use USB-sticks now with much greater capacity.
>
> I'am afraid slinky as it is now, has reached the end of its lifecycle.
>
> What do you think about it?

Thank you for the history and your efforts, Franz.

I still have a 486-based laptop that will only boot from a floppy drive
or the hard drive. It says it will boot from a network, but that hasn't
been demonstrated.

My point is that a 486 should be able to run the latest kernels, if only
they can be installed. For me and this machine, that means booting from
a floppy disk to get the network running. I would like to see continued
support of some sort of floppy/network installation, whether it's Slinky
or something else. I also happen to be partial to the Red Hat lineage
(Fedora, CentOS, RHEL) but if that doesn't support a kernel that will
run on a 486, then I'll give that up.

I have tried Gentoo on this machine, but after 12 DAYS of compiles, it
wouldn't boot the kernel it made.

My two cents.

Chris