[Rule] Summary/random thoughts on RULE

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Sat Sep 15 13:49:22 EEST 2007

On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 21:56:33 PM +0100, Liam Proven
 lproven at gmail.com  wrote:

> Debian always was about as user-friendly as a cornered rat

I was referring more to its "user community" than to its ease of
install, but you are right too.

> But, GNOME and OpenOffice do really want at /least/ 256MB RAM and a
> 1GHz+ CPU to be pleasant. Ideally, just like XP, 384MB of RAM or
> more.

That's not a real problem for RULE: its main target are non-technical
end users who live on donated hardware. If what companies give away
today has these specs...

> But the low end is moving on now. The really antique machines still
> keep running, but the sort of kit I get for free and give away to
> friends now runs Win2K quite well:

exactly!  the fact that RULE had a moving target was
explicitly said since the beginning of the project.

> I have been trying to think of a reason to justify such a distro or
> package, and the best I could come up with was, if it runs on really
> low-spec machines, it will be a really high-performance distro for
> something newer and more powerful.

the same argument is in the official FAQ and/or in some other page of
the original website.

> I wrote an article on this theme recently.

Thanks for it!

Ciao,
	Marco
--
The one book on software and digital technologies that no parent or
teacher can ignore                   http://digifreedom.net/node/84