[Rule] Is Gnome/KDE the greatest bloat?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 23:39:01 EEST 2007

On 27/09/2007, C David Rigby <c.david.rigby at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/27/07, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 27/09/2007, C David Rigby <c.david.rigby at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > There is also fluxbuntu (http://fluxbuntu.org/, but site down for
> > > migration). I took a quick look at the live CD. Not enough to really get
> > > feel for it, but it seems to warrant further investigation. Like
> > > Ubuntu-lite, it seems to be having the usual "growing pains" in terms of
> > > stable web presence.
> >
> > May I suggest that you don't top-quote?
>
> Sorry - that was a bit sloppy of me.
>
> > Sure, there /is/ Fluxbuntu, but it seems to be mainly an effort to
> > produce a version of Ubuntu for Fluxbox fans rather than anything more
> > directed or focussed.
> >
> > But then, there are /many dozens/ of Ubuntu spinoffs now.
> >

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ubuntu-based_distributions
> >
> > Many don't have a particularly close or narrow focus, they're just
> > Ubuntu for a particular perceived "market" or target audience.
>
> Point taken. Is it reasonable to consider starting from Debian as a base
> rather than Ubuntu? Are there any minimalist distros based on Debian?

Well, you could argue that Debian /is/ a minimalist distro, but I
think that if you are targeting the desktop, Ubuntu is a better
starting point.

The problem soon will be kernel 2.6. I believe there is some older
hardware it doesn't support, and neither Debian or Ubuntu supports 2.4
any more.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
AOL/AIM/iChat: liamproven at aol.com • MSN/Messenger: lproven at hotmail.com
Yahoo: liamproven at yahoo.co.uk • Skype: liamproven • ICQ: 73187508