[Rule] Why we do RULE

Pete Harlow peter.harlow at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 14:36:13 EEST 2007

On 03/10/2007, Richard Kweskin <rkwesk at hellug.gr> wrote:

> Speaking for myself, I enjoy trying to work on both. However, our project
> is limited in its resources and thus, regretfully, I concede that we need to
> focus on the 4/5/6 yr old hardware.

Another related point - defective 4/5/6 year old hardware can in all
probability be be patched up with modern components. As the hardware becomes
older this gets more problematical.

I have a ten - year old Dell Pentium Pro machine sitting in the corner of
the basement as a headless print server. The last time I replaced the hard
drive, about the only one the bios would recognise was a Maxtor. Then the
CD-ROM drive went paws up, and although the replacement will read a CD, it
won't act as a boot device. The machine is running Debian at the moment, as
the Debian boot floppy and install from network proved the course of least
resistance...

--
Pete Harlow
Catnip Corner - Photography by Pete Harlow - http://www.catnip.co.uk/