[Rule-list] Distributing the distro

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Mon Feb 18 01:36:41 EET 2002

Vik Olliver wrote:

> It ocurred to me that a distro with such a small footprint would be an
> ideal candidate for peer-to-peer updating. The likes of Red Hat would
> not be happy, of course, as they make money out of distributing their
> updates fro a central location. Very nice of them to make it a free
> service and all, but they seem to have to limit access from time to
> time. A Gnutella- of freenet-like system that could find the nearest
> node(s) and aquire the latest GPG-signed updates would get around
> this.

The Red Hat-friendly way is described here:
https://rhn.redhat.com/overview_workgroup.pxt
Please bear in mind that Red Hat *has* to make money somehow (even Linux
coders need to eat ;-) ). I don't want to interfere with that. I like
their work and therefore want them to make money from it.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker