[Rule-list] Distributing the distro

ichi at ihug.co.nz ichi at ihug.co.nz
Mon Feb 18 21:04:59 EET 2002

Devon wrote:

> > Small footprint?  So far, it appears you guys are talking about
> > 200-300mb.  That may seem small to people with 10gig harddrives,
> > but it's way too big for my 486-33 with 170mb HD.  I reckon you
> > should be aiming for a base installation of no bigger than 80mb
> > (including X, wm and graphical browser).
>
> I can't see it happening in 80MB. With 16MB of ram, you'll want at
> least 32MB of swap space, leaving 48MB for the system.

You misunderstand.  80mb for the distribution, 32mb for swap.
That's 112kb (quite comfortable on my 170mb HD).

> I've gotten the installed size of the packages down to under 160MB,
> and can probably do a little more.  However, that doesn't include
> XFree86 or any of it's dependencies.

On my 486, I'm currently running a very slim Slackware 3.5 with
XFree86, icewm and Netscape 3.04.  It runs happily in a 30mb Linux
partition (plus 32mb swap partition).  It would be nice to have
something more up-to-date, but I certainly won't be trading my 30mb
GUI installation for a 160mb installation that doesn't even include
XFree.

Cheers,
Steven