[Rule-list] Modified installer

Devon devon at tuxfan.homeip.net
Tue Feb 19 03:34:46 EET 2002

On Monday 18 February 2002 04:21 pm, Brock Organ wrote:

First, thank you Brock for taking the time to test this. I do appreciate
it.

> other than that I've noticed that neither pump nor dhcpcd was installed
> ... so after manually installing the dhcpcd rpm from the CD, there was
> no problem ...

Yes, I had left it out of the initial builds. It is now included if you
select dhcp client support. The lowmem install class now defaults to a
minimum of packages, and allows you to select additional sub packages.
The sub packages are de-selected by default, and you can choose to add:

Network support (basic network tools)
Dialup support
DHCP support
Messaging and web tools
OpenSSH server
Mail server

(dialup, dhcp, and messaging all pull in the network support group)

> > Not entirely good news, of course.
>
> I'd say pretty good news ... core functionality is there ...

Yes, but troubling that your machine failed to boot with the mem=24M
parameter. I can't see where it could be related to the installer
changes, however. The fact that it boots without the kernel parameter
would seem to indicate that the module exists and can be loaded.
If you have the time and inclination, could you do a base install (custom
class, selecting no packages) of the official release and try the mem=24M
option? I'm curious, but have no means at my disposal to test this
further.

> > I was thinking the target audience for this installer would be
> > running on all IDE hardware. Of course, that assumption could be way
> > off base.
>
> no need to throw out functionality that is not on the critical resource
> path, IMO ... :)

Oh, I agree. I'd like the end product to be as full featured as possible.
I haven't disabled scsi support (at least not intentionally) ;)

- -D

- --

pgp key:  http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/pgpkey.txt