[Rule-list] Suggestion for modifying XFree86 and Tiny X

Gordon Buzowetsky idesofmarch at sk.sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 21 05:32:21 EET 2002

> One thing that I would like to see removed from XFree86 and Tiny X are
the
> parts of the code that changes the tty. You know how when you type
"startx"
> it automatically changes the tty? Well, I believe that it would be worth

> removing that, so that people can change the tty manually when they want
to.

Am I understanding this correctly...when you startx.......in effect you
would be staying at tty1 instead of tty7??

If so...I think for simplicity sake...just eliminate f3 to f6...would that
not gain you some resources, and at the same time take much of the
'manual' out of it??  With just about the same effect??

> For those who want it to be automatic, they can use the "tty" program in

> their scripts. This will keep the XFree86 binaries smaller, and more
focused
> on what they should concentrate on.
> Those who have slow hardware will especially benefit. Think about typing

> "startx", and then having to wait a long time staring at a screen, while
the
> computer tries to get things started. If you were allowed to change
> manually, then you type, "startx", before you're finished with your
present
> work, and then switch to the tty, when you're done. The present way
doesn't
> work very well.

Agreed...but I for one...often switch between X and my consoles....would
like to keep one open anyway...;-)

> Another modification would be to remove the automatic displaying of that

> weaved background. I feel that it would be better for the users to call
> program in their scripts to add a background. Does this make sense?

This wouldn't hurt my feelings at all....but another thought would be
instead of; startx...why not xinit??  Then call whatever windowmanager you
want???

Then you could simply use blackbox or whatever was mentioned
before....that dos one (name escapes me)....or for the slower pentiums
people could add in Ice or Windowmaker....or whatever....I know for a fact
that Windowmaker or even Fvwm run real good on a P166.......but probably
like cold tar on a 486...tried that a while back with a 486
w/8meg...........about equal to watching paint dry....;-))

Just a little thought fodder............G