[Rule-list] Font server, and tips to reduce RAM needs

Gordon Buzowetsky idesofmarch at sk.sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 21 07:50:46 EET 2002

> Another area interesting me is the font server. I know that other
> distributions (slackware?) just don't use it, at least as stand-alone
> workstations. Can we port RH to do the same? How?

Slack has the extra fonts available for initial install; but you can
choose to leave them out.  They run with the xfnts.tgz...(I think)...seems
that's just a basic set to get started...but adequate.

If you just wanted a basic X up and running you just left all the rest
out.  Not sure how small you can get Slack8 but I know for a fact that 7.1
would give you a running install with minimal X at about 110megs.

Dunno how helpful this would be...but just one for the book of maybe
useless facts....;-))

Later...G