[Rule-list] Partitioning not always straight forward

James james at opencountry.org
Wed Mar 27 04:18:28 EET 2002

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 01:56:17 +0100
Martin Stricker <shugal at gmx.de> wrote:

> *finally* back online after moving - and skimming through 1500
> e-Mails... @-))
>
> Gordon Buzowetsky wrote:
> >
> > > Hello All
> > >
> > > Using druid or fdisk with weird results:

> > > snip
> > >
> > > Another time an attempt to delete hda2 swap partition resulted in
> > > hda2 remaining while free space shows up elsewhere.
> > >
> > > Both times with miniconda 0.7.1 with early swap hack to hda2.
> > >
> > > Richard
> > >
> > Hi All...
> >
> > Just reading back through some posts...and wanted to mention that
> > Richard isn't the only one that gets some strange results using Disk
> > Druid and fdisk.   I too; get to that part...enter the sizes for swap
> > and / and most times the partitions will be interchanged....eg---40meg
> > swap hdb1 350meg / hdb2-----after all is said and done I end up with
> > 40meg swap hdb2 and 350 meg / hdb1.  No idea of what's causing that; I
> > thought it was just my inexperience with the proggies...but I guess
> > not.  OTOH using 'cdisk' in slinky...the partitions come out as
> > originally setup....go figure.
>
> I had similar problems. There are some bugs in the wrapper around
> fdisk/DiskDruid in RHL 7.2. I don't like that wrapper altogeter, when I
> say fdisk I want fdisk... If that's still the case in Skipjack I'll
> bugzilla it.

Gordon,
  Don't know if this is true but I've heard that the reason for this is so that your swap is on the "fastest" part of the drive.  In short "it's a heppin ya" Wich is when you think about it kind of commical The fastest part of a 486DX 33mhz with a 320meg hdd.  Kinda like a turtle with racing stripes.  So they may not consider it a bug... but a feature.