[Rule-list] minimum rule install

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Fri Mar 29 01:52:20 EET 2002

Eugene Wong wrote:

> >From: hairylarry at deltaboogie.com
> <snip>
> >dosfstools-2.7-1
>
> I recommend that you take this out, because not everybody needs DOS.

I disagree: One of our target groups will use RULE on dual-boot with
Windows. They should be able to use all the partitions from within Linux
- so they can ask themselves "Why are the Linux partitions not there in
Windows?".

> >hdparm-4.1-2
>
> I don't know how much this is used, but I only recall manually using
> it once, or twice.

Depends on your harddisk. But I guess unexperienced users won't know how
to use it, and experienced users just rpm -Uvh it...

> >bash-2.05-8
>
> You listed ash below. That should be good enough for a base install.

For compatibility's sake bash *must* be there. Better skip ash.

> >logrotate-3.5.9-1
>
> I don't recall using this, although I do know what it is.

It rotates your log files in /var/log so you don't end up with one huge
file but a file for each day of the week, and older ones are deleted.
This can be configured of course.

> >info-4.0b-3
>
> I usually don't make use of this, although I know what it is.

But it *should* be there. Some programs don't have a man page!

> >diffutils-2.7.2-2

> >man-1.5i2-6
>
> I'd like to have this available, but for a base install, it might not
> be necessary.

Then how to tell the user RTFM???

> >authconfig-4.1.19-1
> >kudzu-0.99.23-1
>
> These both seem unecessary for a base install.
>
> >kernel-2.4.7-10
>
> I've never used this before...just kidding!! ;^p

You don't need to use it if you have Emacs... *ducks and runs* ;=D

> >quota-3.01pre9-3
>
> I think that this can go.

Yep. Who knows enough to use it should know enough to install it by
hand, too.

> Busybox is a replacment for the bash and ash shells and other
> utilities. I haven't evaluated it, yet, so take it for what it's
> worth.

Busybox and uclib are what slinky (the smaller, not anaconda-based
installer) is made of... ;=D

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Red Hat Linux 7.2 for low memory: http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/rule/