[Rule-list] New slinky images, copyright question

James james at opencountry.org
Fri Mar 29 02:04:03 EET 2002

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002 23:38:17 +0100
Martin Stricker <shugal at gmx.de> wrote and hopefully I read right:

> James wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 28 Mar 2002 01:57:04 +0100
> > Martin Stricker <shugal at gmx.de> wrote and hopefully I read
right:

> > > Perfect, with one addition needed:

Boston,

http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/ ,
> > > but I'm not sure.
> >
> > Not to be a pain but may I lobby for the BSD license to be
included
> > as well.  Seeing as how there is a lot of code in Linux that
comes
> > from BSD and is under that license even though people keep
slaping
> > the GPL on it (incorrectly ) for example tcl/tk webmin etc.
>
> I think the license used depends on personal taste. I prefer the
GPL
> above the BSD license because the GPL is "contagious", i. e.
anything
> derived of a GPLed software has to be under the GPL, too.
Derivates of
> BSD-style software can be proprietary and closed source. (That
nasty
> advertising clause has mostly disappeared from BSD licenses) I
don't
> want that to happen with my software - except I get paid for it.

Yes but like the GPL BSD prohibts changing the license on the code
to another open source license.  Otherwise I could take gcc tack the
BSD license on it and call it propriatory.  If the code is
originally under the BSD License it must stay under that license.

http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/rule/