[Rule-list] scripts for RPM dependencies analysis

Marco Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Sat Jul 27 08:18:22 EEST 2002

On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 23:41:31 at 11:41:31PM +0200, Marco Fioretti wrote:

> About how to do it, I was thinking to something like:
>
> 1) run rpm -q --requires, --whatrequires and others option on every
> RPM in the three standard RH disks, dumping everything to a flat file.
>
> 2) Chew that file with Perl until it produces for every package the
> information we need.

After reading Ed's suggestion, I realized that there might be another
advantage in the perl/sh/whatever approach above:

step 1) must be run once in the world for every RH release, and the
result can be put online. At that point, everybody (even on non RH
systems) can use the script to figure out if a RULE-ized RH would fit
on some computer: this also connects to that old dreams of mine I
describd here some months ago: that you could do this online, even
from Windows, before install, to know exactly what would come out.

There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a
vacuum.                                        -- Arthur C. Clarke