[Rule-list] RULE and Networking (Observations)

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Wed Jul 31 07:16:01 EEST 2002

On Tuesday 30 July 2002 02:59 pm, Geoff Burling wrote:

> (BTW, the address for the RULE home page is wrong in the footer. It
> should not be ``http://www.rule-project.org/rule/" but
> ``www.rule-project.org".)

I believe Marco has to fix that, I can't.

> > In the default install, there should be no packages installed that
> > need xinetd functionality. Even in a more complete RedHat install,
> > the only things requiring xinetd are portmap (for nfs) and sgi_fam,
> > which also requires portmap. If I'm mistaken here, please correct me.
>
> Hmm. That might explain some of the weirdnesses with nfs.

Error on my part, portmap does not require xinetd.

> > How are you calling ping? By ip address or FQDN?
>
> Both. I have defined the other computers on the LAN in the /etc/hosts
> file.
> Output follows:
> [geoff at zander nmap-2.53]$ ping joan
> PING joan (168.192.1.100) from 192.168.1.101 : 56(84) bytes of data.

This looks like /etc/hosts lists the machine joan at 168.192.1.100

> --- joan ping statistics ---
> 5 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss
> [geoff at zander nmap-2.53]$ ping 198.168.1.101
> PING 198.168.1.101 (198.168.1.101) from 192.168.1.101 : 56(84) bytes of
> data.

Here, you have pinged zander, from zander, yes?

> > What is the output of '/sbin/route -n'?
>
> [geoff at zander nmap-2.53]$ /sbin/route -n
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
> Iface 192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0
>     0 eth0 127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0
> 0        0 lo 0.0.0.0         192.168.1.100   0.0.0.0         UG    0
>    0        0 eth0

Hrmm, I'm not sure. Mine looks similar. Does 192.168.1.100 need to be
configured to forward packets if it is listed as the gateway for
192.168.1.101?
I just tried removing the default gateway on my test machine, and it
doesn't appear to have made a difference, however.

> > What is the output of /sbin/ifconfig?
>
> [geoff at zander nmap-2.53]$ /sbin/ifconfig
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:20:AF:5D:C2:A8
>           inet addr:192.168.1.101  Bcast:192.168.1.255
> Mask:255.255.255.0 UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

Looks ok, I think.

> > Have you defined a nameserver and gateway?
>
> No. I didn't think that was necessary for a local network. I didn't do
> that on the SparcStation, & it appears to work satisfactory.

What does the routing table look like on the sparc?

> Besides, wouldn't it make more sense to first confirm that the ethernet
> card works on the LAN, _then_ add the necessary steps to allow it to
> see the rest of the Internet? (And if I were to allow this, I'd have
> to setup IP Forwarding, since local IP numbering needs to be hidden
> from the rest of the Internet.)

Prabably. ;)

> > Did kudzu detect the network card and offer to configure it on the
> > first reboot after install?
>
> No. I had to copy a working ifcfg-eth0 file from my main computer &
> modify it to get it to work on the testbed. Which is odd, since this is
> a used 3Com 503 card I bought for a dollar.
>
> That got me thinking: the first time I let kudzu find the network card,
> the computer wasn't connected to the LAN. So I renamed the ifcfg-eth0
> file & rebooted the testbed. Kudzu failed to notice the card. Just to
> make sure this install of kudzu wasn't corrupt or misinstalled, I added
> the serial mouse to the testbed, rebooted again . . . & kudzu saw the
> mouse.
>
> Just to take the testing another step, I had an NE2000 card available,
> so I swapped cards & let the computer boot. Kudzu didn't see *that*
> card either. Was Kudzu ``upgraded" to ignore objects on an ISA bus?

Odd. I just did a test install, and kudzu configured the network card at
boot time. Renamming the config file won't force kudzu to find the card,
however. I believe it relies on a hardware probe, and compairs against a
file of hardware it expects the machine to have.

What packages did you select at install time again? I used the base
packages, plus web tools, networking and ssh.

> > I'm not an NFS guru, so bear with me.
> > Have you listed the filesystems in /etc/exports, and exported them?
> > I don't believe it is enough to just export /, as I remember, you
> > have to export specific directories. You might (for example) try
> > exporting /home/{username} and see if that works. Please let me know.
>
> Geez, a case of the blind leading the blind . . . ;-)
>
> I've also found (by trial & error & a little research) that not only
> do you need to edit the /etc/exports file, but run the following
> demonstrated command:
>
> [root at zander nmap-2.53]# /sbin/service nfs start
> Starting NFS services:                                     [  OK  ]
> Starting NFS quotas:                                       [  OK  ]
> Starting NFS mountd:                                       [  OK  ]
> Starting NFS daemon:                                       [  OK  ]
>
> But back to your question. Yes, I mentioned them in the /etc/exports
> file, Which currently reads:
>
> #/home                  joan(rw,no_root_squash)
> /tmp                    joan(ro,all_squash)
> /mnt/cdrom              *(ro,all_squash)
> /mnt/floppy             *(ro,all_squash)
> /mnt/floppy1            *(ro,all_squash)
>
> When I attempt to mount either /home or /tmp, on the client I get an
> error message with the explanation that the nfs server has in turn
> passed the error message ``permission denied". The /var/log/message
> file records the following error:
>
> localhost rpc.mountd: refused mount request from 192.168.1.100 for
> /home (/): no export entry

I hope /home isn't commented out in the file, as it appears above. :)

This looks like a name resolution problem, though. You might try an entry
like:
/home                  192.168.1.100(rw,no_root_squash)

Just as a quick test, you might also try:
/home                  *(rw,no_root_squash)

I've just done some testing, here's what I came up with:

Brand new slinky install, selected network, webtools, and ssh packages.

Portmap was already running, and I did 'service nfs start'

In /etc/exports:
/mnt/cdrom      paradox(ro) (this fails without a proper /etc/hosts file.)
/mnt/cdrom      192.168.0.*(ro) (this fails, permission denied.)
/mnt/cdrom      192.168.0.*/24(ro) (this fails, permission denied.)

These work:
/mnt/cdrom      192.168.0.0/24(ro)
/mnt/cdrom      paradox.local
/mnt/cdrom      *.local
/mnt/cdrom      192.168.0.1

I put the above lines in /etc/exports one at a time and ran exportfs -r
after each.

Here is /etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1               snakebyte localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.0.10             snakebyte.local           snakebyte
192.168.0.1             paradox.local           paradox

Try 'exportfs' and see what the output says.

Red Hat Linux 7.2 in 8M of RAM: http://www.rule-project.org/