[Rule-list] RULE and Networking (Observations) -- Problem Solved!

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Thu Aug 1 08:18:54 EEST 2002

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Michael Fratoni wrote:

> On Tuesday 30 July 2002 02:59 pm, Geoff Burling wrote:

[a whole lot of stuff snipped out]

I finally figured out just what was wrong with my testbed setup. It
took me a couple of days, but now I see that the answer was staring me
right in the face. (I will assume that Michael saw the answer, but he
was just playing me along to see if *I* coudl see where the error lay.)

Note the following exchange below. First Michael, then me, then Michael:

> > > How are you calling ping? By ip address or FQDN?
> >
> > Both. I have defined the other computers on the LAN in the /etc/hosts
> > file.
> > Output follows:
> > [geoff at zander nmap-2.53]$ ping joan
> > PING joan (168.192.1.100) from 192.168.1.101 : 56(84) bytes of data.
>
> This looks like /etc/hosts lists the machine joan at 168.192.1.100
>
> > --- joan ping statistics ---
> > 5 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss
> > [geoff at zander nmap-2.53]$ ping 198.168.1.101
> > PING 198.168.1.101 (198.168.1.101) from 192.168.1.101 : 56(84) bytes of
> > data.
>
> Here, you have pinged zander, from zander, yes?

If you haven't noticed the problem, let me point to the fact that I
was using the 198.168.1.0 network for my 3-computer LAN. And what IP
address does zander think is assigned to joan?

Once I fixed the /etc/hosts file, not only could I ping joan from zander,
but I could telnet to it also.

BTW, nfs worked just fine too.

I hope this will be the last time I claim there is a bug in the
software when the problem lies between the keyboard & the chair.

Geoff