[Rule-list] About RH 8 not supporting 486

Oisin C. Feeley ofeeley at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 23 05:17:41 EEST 2002

Martin Stricker wrote:

[snip]
> Personally, I would like to have a RULE ISO. It could contain some other
> useful stuff (and thus make RULE more known): SGI said they won't
> provide an ISO for Red Hat Linux 8.0, so you can not use XFS filesystems
> at install time, nor for your / directory. The RULE CD could fit in here
> very nicely!
[snip]

I think a RULE ISO would be a good idea.  Most people are used to the idea
of downloading/burning now and are more likely to try it out if its in
such a reassuring form.

Also CDs could be shipped internationally to countries that need them at a
fairly reasonable price.  Perhaps investigating the actual hardware base
available to people in other countries would be a good idea.  I could ask
some of the charities in L.A. that are involved in shipping older machines
to Latin America if that would be useful?

RULE can also have a remit and audience beyond the i386/i486 world:  given
that it's being optimized for small memory machines it would be very
useful for those of us that have machines like my home-desktop (466 Mhz
Celeron, 64Mb RAM).  This runs "Psyche" dog-slow.  I just experimented
with swapping memory in/out of other machines today and found that adding
another 128Mb RAM in means that it now runs acceptably fast.  That strikes
me as an excessively large amount of memory.  If RULE can provide a
collection of lower-memory use Window/Desktop managers, browsers, etc. all
chosen and integerated by the RULE-team then there's definitely an
audience out there for it.

As time progresses and we move onto Red Hat 10.23 running on a minimal
hardware of 5.4GHz/ 1GB RAM, it will be very useful if there is a complete
build process, tools and accumulated expertise in building an OS optimized
for more restricted systems.

Finally thanks a bunch to everyone that's made this happen so much
already.