[Rule-list] About RH 8 not supporting 486

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Wed Oct 23 19:02:49 EEST 2002

Oisin C. Feeley wrote:

> Also CDs could be shipped internationally to countries that need them at a
> fairly reasonable price.

Well, shipping costs can be quite impressive

> Perhaps investigating the actual hardware base
> available to people in other countries would be a good idea.  I could ask
> some of the charities in L.A. that are involved in shipping older machines
> to Latin America if that would be useful?

Absolutely! The more specific the information is the better! Thus we could
determine which drivers are most important and need to be included even if
they aren't in Red Hat's kernel.

> RULE can also have a remit and audience beyond the i386/i486 world:  given
> that it's being optimized for small memory machines it would be very
> useful for those of us that have machines like my home-desktop (466 Mhz
> Celeron, 64Mb RAM).  This runs "Psyche" dog-slow.  I just experimented
> with swapping memory in/out of other machines today and found that adding
> another 128Mb RAM in means that it now runs acceptably fast.  That strikes
> me as an excessively large amount of memory.  If RULE can provide a
> collection of lower-memory use Window/Desktop managers, browsers, etc. all
> chosen and integerated by the RULE-team then there's definitely an
> audience out there for it.

Yes, and not only for low-memory machines but also for servers whose
administrators do not want to to everything on the console, but don't want to waste
much space for anything but the server's main purpose. Also this could ease
the setup of a server, where I want only what's absolutely necessary to
prevent any hacking.

> As time progresses and we move onto Red Hat 10.23 running on a minimal
> hardware of 5.4GHz/ 1GB RAM, it will be very useful if there is a complete
> build process, tools and accumulated expertise in building an OS optimized
> for more restricted systems.

Red Hat Linux 10.23 "bloat" comming on 16 DVDs... *ROTFLOL*

Best regards,
Martin Stricker

Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/
Red Hat Linux 8.0 for low memory: http://www.rule-project.org/