[Rule-list] The RULE submission page is UP!

Eugene Wong disposable_eugene at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 9 10:39:43 EET 2002

>From: Marco Fioretti <m.fioretti at inwind.it>
<snip>
>I have just put online and partially tested a page that allows
>everybody to submit entries for the RULE software MAP, without needs
>for passwords, or requirements to be familiar with Plesk/MySQL.
>The URL
>is:
>http://www.rule-project.org/en/sw/submit.php
<snip>
>PLEASE test/stress it as much as possible: remember that the MAP
>should contain not only packages, but even smart configuration files.
>Don't worry if the submission looks silly, help me to test the form,
>and let me know (here on the list, so everybody can contribute)
>if something should change in that interface: we can always erase
>dumb entries later.

Marco, I really like it. It seems to encourage development of the things
that are most needed, because it gives a list of types of things that we are
looking for. I like the way that you mention on the web site that all fields
must be filled in, because it helps to prevent people from not providing us
with info just because they are too lazy. If they genuinely don't know
anything else, then they could just add junk text, I suppose.

One thing that I would suggest is to provide a comments box for people to
add things that we forgot to ask about. This comment would get copied into
the emails, but not into the database. It's up to you, though. What is there
right now is already quite good.

I recommend that you mention the following text on that page, unless you
only meant this text for us.

>When the submission has no home page, send to rule at rule-project.org an
>email with a short text file explaining what the package does,
>etc.etc.: I will convert it to php, put it online and then we'll
>review/improve
>it together.
<snip>

I'll have to email you a short text file to explain Vacuum, because I don't
have it posted on a web site.