[RULE] Need help with scripting Vacuum

Eugene Wong disposable_eugene at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 12 17:50:00 EET 2002

>From: Geoff Burling <llywrch at agora.rdrop.com>
>
>Have you looked at ``getopt"? That may be what you're looking for. I've
>toyed with it once or twice, but the examples included in the documentation
>aren't very good.

You got examples?! That must mean good fortune has descended upon you! :^)

Well, at your suggestion, I took a look at it. I think that it is what I am
looking for, but I'm not entirely sure about how to use it. I'm thinking
that it might be a waste of time trying to learn for the sake of this
script. It seems to be taking longer than I anticipated. I was hoping to get
it done last weekend. I'd like to get it done as soon as possible, so that I
can start working on a variation of Slinky, & then maybe make some
contributions to rpm [the actual project for the binary].

Also, as I typed out the previous paragraphs, I thought that maybe this type
of script doesn't need getopt, because it would only require 1 option at
most, plus any other file names. Maybe we could make Vacuum require at least
1 option, no matter what, so that it would make life easier for us to write
code that directly tries to deal with ${1}, and if there are no options
given, then it could just display usage & help information.

What does everybody think?