[RULE] Install report for slinky 0.3.4

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Fri Dec 20 06:24:54 EET 2002

On Sunday 15 December 2002 06:52 pm, Marco Fioretti wrote:

First off, thank you Marco for the report. I can't fix anything unless I
get feedback. I test what I can myself, but the errors are more likely to
be discovered by others.

> I have finally backed up that laptop I mentioned several times here.
> It is now running Red Hat 8.0 thanks to the latest ISO provided by
> Michael. Everything went fine: to know the details, please go to
> http://www.rule-project.org/en/test/, look for the latest entry
> (laptop marco) and click on it to read the details. I'm going to sleep
> now, but of course will provide every further detail you ask.

Sorry for the delay, things have been hectic. I gave myself an early
Christmas present, and have been busy building and setting up my new
system. There just were not enough computers in the house... ;)

I'll paste and comment from Marco's report.

> selecting RH 8.0, and stage 2 scripts from CDROM

> installation from a CDROM (Note: a previous message says to answer to
> all questions in lower case, so I put cdrom, but the list says CDROM:
> potentially confusing? I got the answer "defaulting to CDROM install",
> so probably the lowercase string was not recognized)

The idea was that the default value is in upper case. If a value appears
in uppercase, and that is the value you want, it is safe to just hit
'enter'. It also appears that the script isn't recognizing "cdrom" as a
valid answer, I'll look into that. You should only see the "defaulting to
cdrom" message if you enter an invalid answer, or just hit 'enter'.

> Note: there is a message saying that all rpms contained in the
> extra_packages file will be installed, but I haven't found it written
> _where_ this file should be placed in the iso

If it isn't documented, I'll fix it. Actually, looking quickly at the
scripts....
Once I actually add the ability to use the extra_packages file, I'll
document it's use. It appears I never added this feature. ;)

> WARNING MESSAGE AT THIS POINT!!!!!!:

> 		--import: unknown option

Already fixed locally. The rpm binary contained in the installer doesn't
understand --import to import the Red Hat gpg key.

> Notes: it installs kerberos, openldap, cyrus-sasl: are they needed?

To meet dependencies in the Red Hat packages, yes.

> Minor inconvenient: this is probably a fault of my laptop, not of the
> installer, but since it was doing fine, I switched to my desktop to
> write this report and read email. When I looked again at the laptop,
> the screen was black.

I can add the setterm binary to the installer and see if
'setterm -blank 60' prevents this. (60 minutes is the max, I believe.) if
I remember correctly, the console will blank after 5 minutes of
inactivity? I'm not sure, honestly. The installer currently does nothing
to change this behavior. I agree, it is a problem to have the console
blank during install.

> Note: at boot, the start up sequence includes sendmail, even if I
> didn't choose it

Some packages are added automatically based on your package selections.
Sendmail is required by the web_tools package to meet dependencies. Mutt
and fetchmail both have a dependency on "smtpdaemon". We could add the
option of disabling sendmail startup to the scripts.